Roll with the Changes: The Organic Sector in Dynamic Times
- Friday, 09/15/2017: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Room: Baltimore Convention Center, Room 322
The world is changing and the organic sector is changing with it. The market for organic products remains strong, but there are concerns whether the supply can meet the growing demand. Transition of farmers and land to organic production is needed, but production barriers continue to discourage producers from entering the organic market. Promising innovations may help farmers close the gap.
Given the tight supply incentives to commit organic fraud has become irresistible. News stories reported fraudulent shipments entering the United States. Efforts to address the fraud requires improved certification, traceability and verification.
Several emerging issues confront international trade agreements. As these treaties are renegotiated, equivalency arrangements regarding organic standards are being questioned. Even within the context of the existing agreements, some incongruities are meeting with resistance. These points of friction will be examined in the workshop.
1. Technological innovations in organic farming and food systems. Explain what new tools are available for organic producers and handlers.
2. International developments in organic certification, traceability, and verification.
3. Emerging issues with respect to international trade and the organic sector.