The Fitness Advantage: Peak Performance & the Mind
- Thursday, 09/14/2017: 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
- Room: Baltimore Convention Center, Room 321
Achieving your best athletic performance relies on optimal cognitive function, not just optimal physical training. This presentation will cover scientific developments in this exciting and emerging area of the role of brain health on mental and physical performance. The presenter will describe the complex structure and physiology of the brain and nervous system and how they regulate mental energy, mood, focus, attention and memory, all critical cognitive tasks in achieving a mental edge and optimal overall performance. The discussion will review research on dietary constituents and their impact on simple and complex brain processes that support enhanced physical performance. In addition, specific foods can be rich sources of nutrients, antioxidants and phytochemicals that can positively impact cognitive function either directly or via the gut-brain axis. Armed with an understanding of the role of cognitive-enhancing nutrients, one can begin to tailor diet and supplementation regimens for better mental and overall performance.
1. Learn about the brain and nervous system anatomy and physiology and the relationship to
mental and cognitive function important in fitness activities.
2. Learn about the science supporting the actions of specific nutrients e.g. caffeine, theanine
and more, on various cognitive functions.
3. Learn about the role of food as a modulator of brain and cognitive function.